Re: [Evolution] The system of levels, badges and presents of Discourse

On Sun, 2022-10-23 at 08:59 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
By closing individual mailman mailing lists and replacing it with a
single forum, everything is under control of a single authority.

Rest assured that the mailing lists hosted on mail.gnome.org are
technically also "under control of a single authority" - the same one.

There even isn't the need to moderate or ban users with unwanted opinions,
since the users are educated by levels, badges and presents.

That's neither logical nor based on a correct assumption. It's not
about "banning users with unwanted opinions" but about Code of Conduct.

IOW all users are under general suspicion to express unwanted
opinions, hence everybody is moderated by a credit system. This
Chinese alike approach has nothing to do with the "libre" in FLOSS.

I retroactively apologize that we had a Points system in GNOME Bugzilla
(before GitLab) which gave an impression how experienced and active a
user is. Must have been pretty horrible if I understand you correctly.

There are valid reasons to moderate or ban a user, but usually such a
user is barred by an individual part of a project, not by the whole
universe and before it happens a user must have expressed something that
is unwanted.

We also ban users in GNOME GitLab etc if they violate the GNOME Code of
Conduct. There are many universes out there, nothing new.

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net