Re: [Evolution] preformatted initial mode in plain text replies

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 12:55 AM Milan Crha via evolution-list <evolution-list gnome org> wrote:
I tried it here and it works for me. I only set the
'composer-plain-text-starts-preformatted' to 'true' and when I reply to
your message (which is in HTML) and confirm to lose the formatting,

I do not see a message asking me to confirm losing the formatting.  The composer window immediately starts in Plain Text mode.  Maybe at some point I clicked "Do not show this again"?

then my cursor is placed below the quoted part (I have it setup as
such) and the paragraph mode is set to Preformatted.

If I change to "Start typing at the bottom", then indeed the paragraph mode is Preformatted for the line at the bottom that the cursor is in.  However, when I use "Start typing at the bottom" and I scroll to the top of the initial reply message, there are two blank lines in Normal paragraph mode.  So my guess is that this is less about where the cursor is initially placed and more about how the initial reply message is constructed.  Do you see the two blank lines at the top of replies in Normal paragraph mode (even though you start typing at the bottom)?

I tried changing a bunch of other composer settings but nothing seemed to have any effect on these two blank lines in Normal mode at the top of replies.  I think the most relevant setting is "Keep signature above the original message" (maybe the signature is adding those blank lines in Normal mode?), but I have no default signature, and I also have "Include signature in new messages only" checked.  In any case, turning off "Keep signature above the original message" did not fix the problem with those two initial blank lines in Normal mode.

Thanks for your help!
Stephen