Re: [Evolution] Evolution resolves MLs to to, instead of using ML-address - compliance/privacy issue

On Thu, 2021-03-25 at 10:30 +0100, Sebastian Rottmann wrote:
working against an Exchange Mailserver. We do have a lot of cases,
where let's say, someone writes an mail to "mailinglist company com".

        Hi,
how do you connect to the server, please? I suppose it's by using
evolution-ews, right? This adds also user's address books, especially
the Global Address List (GAL).

So here is the issue: If the user writes the full address, everything
works ok. The mail has "to/from: mailinglist company com" for sender
and receipient. Mail-Filters work and nobody knows who is subscribed to
the list.

Where does it get the address from, from the GAL? The evolution-ews
expands distribution lists with respective members. I do not see any
option to turn that off.

You can disable auto-completion for the GAL (in Edit->Preferences
->Contacts), but it won't auto-complete any contact from there, meaning
nobody from the company, which is not what you want.

Adding a mailinglist company com contact into another address book
enabled for completion (like On This Computer/Personal) might not
always work - that would be a timing issue, which book provides the
contact first would "win".

You can file a feature request against evolution-ews [1] (if you use
that), to add the option to not expand the distribution lists. Or maybe
they should not be expanded in the GAL, only in the other address
books. It's required to expand them, to be able to edit the members of
it.

        Bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-ews/-/issues/new