Re: [Evolution] Issue with opening links

On Mon, 2021-06-07 at 15:43 +0200, Axel Dahlberg via evolution-list
wrote:
I'm using qutebrowser and when clicking links in emails or links in
the
app itself (for example the evolution website in the about window) I
just get a new window of the browser at my starting page and not the
page of the link.

        Hi,
that feels really odd. Evolution relies on gtk+ with this, namely on
gtk_show_uri(), which does all the magics behind. Looking there, the
main part just calls g_app_info_launch_default_for_uri(), which comes
from glib; it searches for the default scheme handler and, well,
launches it. If I understand the glib code correctly, then it calls
a D-Bus method `Open` on an `org.freedesktop.Application` interface for
the scheme handler. I'd guess that your browser has a bug in the D-Bus
method call handling, but it's truly a wild guess.

Try to workaround it by defining a wrapper, which will call the
browser similar to how xdg-open calls it. Create a file in

   ~/.local/share/applications/open-uri-wrapper.desktop

with the following content:

   [Desktop Entry]
   Version=1.0
   Name=open-uri-wrapper
   Exec=qutebrowser %u
   Terminal=false
   Type=Application
   MimeType=x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https

Then call from a terminal:

   $ gio mime x-scheme-handler/http open-uri-wrapper.desktop
   $ gio mime x-scheme-handler/https open-uri-wrapper.desktop

Both should return something like:

   Set open-uri-wrapper.desktop as the default for x-scheme-handler/http

Then, when you click the URL in the Evolution, it should be passed
through the wrapper.

Hope it helps.

        Bye,
        Milan