[Evolution] How to get Evolution to stop marking messages as read?

In Evolution 3.38.3-1 how does one turn off marking read messages as
read?

I'd like to read any message with Evolution without marking any message
as read.

I tried turning off the "Mail Preferences" -> "Mark messages as read
after 0.0 seconds" preference but that didn't stop Evolution from
marking a message I selected as read. Sometimes the message that came
up as a result of switching folders would get marked as read, sometimes
a message I picked explicitly was marked as read. I'm looking for a
means to turn off all mark-message-as-read behavior.

Thanks.