Re: [Evolution] XFS being remounted at Evo Startup

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 4:29 AM Milan Crha via evolution-list <evolution-list gnome org> wrote:
On Sun, 2021-01-17 at 19:39 -0600, Greg Oliver via evolution-list
wrote:
> They converted their evolution package to flatpak once I downloaded
> their source and looked inside it.

        Hi,
apparently they did not. Fedora offers both Flatpak and RPM Evolution.
You can choose which you install. (Kind of) Sadly, GNOME Software
prefers the Flatpak version over the RPM version (which causes
confusion to the users). You did not install the Evolution through
GNOME Software though, because you do not have it installed, thus I
miss how you could get the Flatpak version of it. Maybe due to using
Silverblue? You know.

One thing, maybe I'm wrong, but WebKitGTK 2.30.x defaults to use its
own sandbox, which has some limitations (one of the most common is an
inability to print from the Evolution). The sandbox use can be disabled
with:

    $ WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 evolution

bingo!  I was in fact webkit.  I mistakenly assumed it was flatpak when I saw the flatpak files in the RPM from fedora for evolution.  Man I hate Webkit more and more every day.  I am eventually going to have to stop using evolution because of it :(

I still have the long standing issue of Webkit not utilizing SMP and it taking several seconds to render a reply window on very large HTML email replies.  It has been years, but I still cannot get used to having to wait to start typing a reply with CPU usage sitting @ 100% on a single core until it finishes, but that's a separate topic.

Thanks again Milan -

As it runs bubble wrap in the background, which is used in Flatpak too,
it can be related. Just a guess from my side, though.

        Bye,
        Milan