Re: [Evolution] Evolution caught in endless authentication loop

On Sat, 2021-02-20 at 14:41 -0800, Ullrich Fischer via evolution-list
wrote:
549 incoming email messages ago (3 days), my Evolution email client
stopped being able to send/receive email messages.  Whenever I hit that
Send/Receive button, I get into an endless loop of the program asking
me to authenticate with gmail.com.   I enter my gmail address and
password, press Yes on my phone to acknowledge that it is me (2 factor
authentication), then accept the page that tells me all the things
gnome can now do to my email.  In the past, (before 3 days ago) this
process popped up whenever I rebooted my laptop and left Evolution
fully functional until the next time I rebooted, but now it just goes
right back to asking for my gmail authentication.

Is that a mail account configured in Evolution itself or via the
system's "Online Accounts"?

Is there a fix for this on the horizon

If this is about the horizon on your system then it's a good question
for your distribution as you are still on old outdated 3.38.1 instead
of latest stable Evolution 3.38.4 [1].
So *if* there was a bug in Evolution upstream code here to fix in
stable 3.38.x, then the fix may not ever reach you.

should I try yet a 3rd email client for my Ubuntu 20.04 setup?

You are free to install and use whatever you'd like as we don't have
control over your machine. You could also consider another distribution
though, if you are interested in receiving regular software bug fixes.

Cheers,
andre

[1] https://download.gnome.org/sources/evolution/3.38/
--