Re: [Evolution] Locked up computer - memory pressure relief?

On 5/30/2020 1:46 AM, Steve T via evolution-list wrote:
I had an issue this morning where my laptop 'locked up' while I was replying to a mail. I was in the process of typing and had completed maybe 4 or 5 lines when the laptop froze with the disc activity light constantly on. This went on for minutes until I eventually re-powered the machine. The issue may not have been in Evolution at all, as I have three or four processes start when I boot (virus scan, terminal sessions, browser, file manager, music player...) - so it may have been just the virus scan (clam) slowing everything down.

The problem certainly can be Evolution. I haven't seen it happen to me in several years but it's had bugs where it just endlessly allocates memory until it fails.

If you want to get fancy you can experiment with customizing the .desktop file to run Evolution using systemd-run and a memory limit. Then it goes in a cgroup and cannot exceed 1 GB, or whatever limit you pick.

--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil