Re: [Evolution] evolution crashes when using X11 forwarding

On Thu, 2020-03-19 at 14:31 +0100, Hans-Georg Beyer wrote:
Good question, but I don't know how to find that out remotely.

        Hi,
it seems you've Ubuntu, then "ubuntu list installed packages" search on
Google seems to give some hints. You can ssh into the other machine and
run the commands there.

Having backtraces with debuginfo packages installed for at least
evolution and evolution-data-server would be surely helpful. The
first
error tells what to do (it requires debuginfo also for gtk+
(gtk3)),

Again, I have no idea how to do that exactly.

It depends on your distribution. The first hit on Google for "ubuntu
debuginfo packages" references
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debug%20Symbol%20Packages
I do not use Ubuntu myself, thus I cannot guide you in more detail.

(evolution:27752): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_strsplit: assertion 'string !=
NULL' failed

0x00007fffe9f60549 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-
gnu/libcogl.so.20

This is https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/cogl/issues/1 and I'm afraid
unless clutter allows to disable use of libcogl (I've no idea whether
it does), then the only option is to rebuild evolution with disabled
clutter support (that's brought transitively, disable it with
-DENABLE_CONTACT_MAPS=OFF). Or to find how to convince libcogl not to
crash.

You can try similar gdb command for the evolution run without xvfb-run,
though I'm afraid it'll crash somewhere under clutter/cogl too. Your
best bet would be to disable it. I've no idea how to build evolution
package for Ubuntu with changed build options, I'm sorry I cannot be of
more help.

        Bye,
        Milan