[Evolution] "Select contacts from address book" contact search

Dear colleagues,
On upgrading from evol. 2.xx to 3.28.5, I have noted an
annoying change:  Starting a new email, clicking on "To:"
brings up the dialog "Select contacts from address book".
I was accustomed to type the first few characters of the
user name I wanted (usually two was enough) and I would
get one or a few to click on.  With the newer evolution
I am now using, the search appears to bring up every
contact that has those letters anywhere in the name, not
just the beginning, which means I have to type a lot more
letters to get a unique match.  Any way to get back the
old behavior?
  Thanks,
  George Reeke