Re: [Evolution] Items in the trash reappear in the archive folder

We use Evolution 3.18.5.2 (Ubuntu 16.04) and 3.34.1-2 (Ubuntu
19.10,
previously the version 3.32.1-2 in 19.04) on two different
computers,
both will be updated this year. The email account this problem
relates
to is configured in the same way in both Evolution versions on the
two
computers. It is set up with IMAP.

What is the server?  i.e. Gmail or some other cloud service? If it is
local IMAP server, what software does it use?

Thank you very much, Pete, for your response and helpful questions and
comments!
It is a commercial email provider (web.de), not a local IMAP server.

For a year or even more we have a mysterious problem. Emails in the
trash folder that are usually automatically deleted from the email
server after a month reappear in the Archive folder after they are
deleted server-side. Maybe it is similar to this bug:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/580
But it does not happen immediately after the email was moved to the
trash folder but most of the time only a month later when it is
deleted
from the server.

In the above mentioned bug report you asked for the work flow. Here
is
ours: The emails that are read and not need to be archived are
moved
(manually) to the Trash folder. The emails that are read/answered
are
moved to the Archive folder, either by moving it manually or by
"deleting" it with the Delete key as the Archive folder is set as
the
"Real Folder for Wastebasket/Trash". I wondered whether this last
setting might explain the behaviour but we had this settings on all
computers for many years (with different email providers) and the
reappearance of the emails only occurred for a year or so.

I think it's unwise to "overload" an operation and repurpose it for
something else that the developers couldn't anticipate. Deleting
things
has a specific meaning and I wouldn't be surprised if it causes
confusion doing what you are doing.  There is an archiving mechanism
in
Evolution these days, why not use that.

You may be correct with the overloading. On the other hand we have
configured our evolution clients (on two different computers) like this
for years and we never had a problem.
I will look into the archiving mechanism of Evolution again. The last
time I checked it did not fit our purpose as we want to have the
"archive" folder synchronised between the computers, it is more a saved
emails folder. But this may be possible now, I will look into this.

Do you have "Show deleted messages" turned on?

No.

How do you "delete" the mails from your Trash?  Is it by any chance
by
deleting them - does that not move them to the Archive folder since
you
have told Evolution that that is your Trash folder?

We don't normally delete manually any email in the Trash folder. This
is normally automatically done by the web server after 30 days.

I suspect it's an issue of trying to use features for something they
weren't intended for.  If you need to "Archive" things, then use the
built in archiving mechanism - it can be done manually with a key
combination or an icon on the top bar, or it can be setup to be
automatic.

This could be but why would it happen "suddenly". It worked for many
years and only in the past 1-2 years the problem of reappearing emails
occurred (consistently unless I set the official TRASH folder as the
"Real Folder for Wastebasket/Trash" on one computer.

I'm also surprised you don't have other problems - such as the
"Trash" (i.e. your archive) being purged occasionally.

I am glad!

If there is no apparent problem or solution, that is fine. Although it
is not ideal, I could continue to I set the official TRASH folder as
the "Real Folder for Wastebasket/Trash" on one computer (with 3.34.1-2,
Ubuntu 19.10). And at the same time I hope this "workaround" will
continue to work as my wife just wants to press the "delete" key to
move the email to the "saved email folder" (called Archive) and we want
to keep these emails in this synchronized folder.

Cheers, Dan