Re: [Evolution] Significant lag when composing emails

Hi,

in my long time experiences with Evolution the composer sometimes
suffers from a few negligible hickups, when installing it from official
Arch Linux repos, but nothing that serious as you experience. In my
experiences Evolution from official Ubuntu repositories sometimes worked
and sometimes it was completely unusable, depending on the Ubuntu
release.

I can't comment on the flatpak, however, sandboxed MUAs are known to
cause issues. At least I read about Evolution and Claws not working
properly when installed as a Flatpack or Snap on several Linux mailing
lists.

You could try an external editor,
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-composer-external-editor.html.en .
I don't know if it works when Evolution is sandboxed by a flatpak or
snap. Even if it should work, an external editor IMO is less
comfortable, but in your case it might not suffer from the issue you
described, IOW it might be worth testing it.

You probably won't use  https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic-updates/evolution
since 3.28.5 is that old, but maybe it works without issues.

Ubuntu already provides the next LTS, with the quite new version
3.36.3, https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal-updates/evolution .
Maybe it's worth to enforce a release upgrade,
https://ubuntu.com/blog/how-to-upgrade-from-ubuntu-18-04-lts-to-20-04-lts-today .

The problem of Evolution running on Ubuntu from official Ubuntu
repositories seems to be, that it is from universe,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories#Universe , it anyway
might be a better choice than using a flatpak.

Did you try a flatpak of the "unstable development version",
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak ? Maybe it's more stable
than the one you are using?

Regards,
Ralf