Re: [Evolution] Unable to retrieve message

On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 08:46 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
Can anyone tell me what's going on, how to investigate it, how to
prevent it, or how to recover?

I do not have an answer to any of your question, unfortunately, though
I've a question for you instead. The only thing I know about this is
that "it sometimes happens", but whenever I noticed it here and tried
to investigate, which is months or even years ago, it magically
disappeared and I didn't move any further. To my question:

I see from the path that it's an On This Computer folder (as shown in
Evolution's UI). How is that directory populated? Is it anything like
"received by POP, then moved to the appropriate folder with filters or
manually", or "moved manually from another account", or "populated by a
3rd-party software not managed by Evolution itself", or...? Even if
it's the last option it should not matter (in some cases I'd say
"touching internal Evolution files => expect anything", but not this
time), because the Maildir structure should adapt appropriately. It can
be that some part of the provider incorrectly constructs the path and
causes this error. It may fix on its own when the provider rescans the
directory, which is usually done the first time the folder is entered
in the GUI.

The setup is simple: I run a single instance of Evolution and no other email clients on any device. Evolution has 4 active accounts:
  • Local (On this computer)
  • IMAP (
  • IMAP (
  • Search Folders
The message in question arrived from and was transferred by a filter to a Local folder. I was able to display the message (as I wrote in my original message); after about 5 minutes it disappeared; then after about half an hour it reappeared. The problem happens infrequently, say about once a month, and typically lasts a while, anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]