Re: [Evolution] Evolution 3.30.5-1.1 won't read vCard file produced by 2.32.3

On Thu, 2019-12-26 at 23:53 -0800, Van Snyder wrote:
I was able to import into a new address book. I could not import into
the "Personal" address book created automatically upon the first
execution of Evolution.

        Hi,
I'd guess that the exported vCard file contained some non-UTF-8
character (that could happen in 2.x days, due to using other character
encoding), which can prevent file import, but what you see does not
confirm it (pasting the example vCard into an email body could strip
such invalid characters). The error reporting from the Import had been
improved semi-recently, I only do not recall when exactly it had been
done. The errors are shown on the Evolution console, when run from a
terminal, before that change. I'd suggest to run

   $ /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory -w

(actual path can differ in your distribution) from a terminal. Then
wait for few seconds and run Evolution from another terminal:

   $ evolution

then repeat the import into the original On This Computer/Personal
address book. Maybe either of the two terminals will show the reason.
I'd probably check access/permissions to

   ~/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/

where the On This Computer/Personal address book stores its data.

Now, I can't delete the empty "Personal" address book (but I was able
to change its name to "Empty" and change he new one to "Persona").

That's intentional. The On This Computer/Personal is meant to be always
there. It's not stored by name, but by a unique ID, thus even if the
display name changes it's still the default address book for the
application.

        Bye,
        Milan