[Evolution] Emails marked as read that I never viewed

3.36.4-0ubuntu1

Around once a day, a minute or so after receiving a set of emails,
Evolution will mark some of those emails as read (entry in email list
no longer in boldface) without me ever viewing them.  If I choose a
different email account in the accounts list, and wait until the Saving
message shows in the status bar, then choose the original email account
again, Evolution will update those emails to the correct state of
unread and show their entries in the email list as boldface.

Eventually (I believe when Evolution rereads the server associated with
the email account), Evolution will correct itself and again show those
emails it had mistakenly marked as read, as being unread.

If I view and then delete one of these unread emails that are presented
as read, the Trash folder will eventually show the email as unread.

I've noticed this behavior for years; now that I'm on this list, I'm
reporting it.  Known behavior?  Any workaround?

--
Robert McDonald