[Evolution] Stacked headers in vertical never work for me

I have wanted to use Evolution for years, but I can never get the stacked messages to work for me in vertical view. On Novell's website, they say that when you switch to vertical preview, the default message list will contain double line compressed headers. However, this never works for me and I just get one line where I can't read any columns.

I am running 3.36 on Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you for your help.