Re: [Evolution] IMAP IDLE and TCP resetting

On Sun, 2020-04-19 at 20:23 +0300, Nicholas Guriev via evolution-list
wrote:
So a user loses their instant notifications of new emails until
Evolution is restarted.

        Hi,
as far as I remember, the IDLE is started whenever a connection exists
and it has nothing better to do. That is, you do not need to restart
Evolution, you can simply move to a different folder, select a message,
which had not been downloaded yet, or even have the periodic check run,
after which the IDLE will be started.

Is this something specific for my config (Evolution 3.34.1 from
Ubuntu 19.10)?

I think there had been done something about this, but I do not see any
directly related change in the IMAPx code since your version, thus it
can be there are (still) some corner cases, where this misbehaves.

It's also that the account itself can be in offline mode (it is
indicated in the Mail view of Evolution, in the folder list, with an
icon on the right of the account name) and it stays in that until
something asks for an online operation.

        Bye,
        Milan

P.S.: you can see what is going on between the server and the Evolution
when you run it from a terminal like this:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution

aka no need for wireshark, which might not work with encrypted
connections anyway.