Re: [Evolution] unable to delete a task that is absent on an EWS server

That interpretation is certainly what I expect caused the problem.

Before sending my post, I looked through the ~/.cache/evolution/tasks
dir and found a cache.db that held the expected text and had moved that
away. I suspect that it existed in more than one location since it
didn't remove the issue, or it could be the calendar factory was still
running - I didn't check (I did stop evolution itself, but in my
experience, the data server is difficult to kill as you suggest).

I ended up just deleting the account under evolution and reestablishing
it on the basis that that would properly blow away the cache. That has
fixed the issue.

thanks