[Evolution] [Feature request] Evolution should fetch new mail notifications even when the app is closed

Hello everyone,

With 3.30.5 version of Evolution new mail notifications show up at the
startup of the app which I think is quite pointless and distracting
because new email messages are cleary visible in the opened window. One
might argue that the correct use of Evolution notications would be to
leave the app opened and minimized. That brings me to my question: is
that the best way to stay up-to-date with new email messages?

Most email and messaging apps on Android, iOS and other platforms have
a default behavior to provide notifications even when the app itself is
closed. To me it makes a lot of sense: generally I'm not
interested in opening the mail app unless I get a new email notification.

Keeping the app opened may result in one of the following problems:
1) It clutters the alt+tab window.
2) Placing it in separate workspace makes workspace navigation
cumbersome,
3) User might accidentally close the app without knowing it.

I strongly believe that Evolution should at least have an option to
enable background notifications. It could probably be achieved by
implementing such feature in evolution-data-server. The lack of it is
currently the sole reason I use Geary as my main email app.

Background apps have been a controversial topic in GNOME dev community.
However, what I'm suggesting is not against the guidelines as described
here in "Running in the background" section:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/StatusIconMigration/Guidelines

Development of evolution-on (https://github.com/acidrain42/evolution-on
) and evolution-tray (http://gnome.eu.org/index.php/Evolution_Tray)
plugns seemingly stopped years ago and not necessarily in agreement
with current programming guidelines (e.g., use of tray icons is
discouraged:
https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2017/08/31/status-icons-and-gnome/).

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,