Re: [Evolution] Accessing Exchange (ews) through a proxy (ssh/socks5)

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Thu, 2018-12-27 at 16:03 -0600, Michael Parson wrote:
Different settings have given me different errors, sometimes it can't
look up the hostname of the the mailserver, but most of the time I
get 'Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out'

        Hi,
as far as I can tell, the evolution-ews does use proxy settings from
Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences (you can create a specific proxy
settings for the EWS account in the Advances proxy settings).

I'm not seeing Evolution attempt to pull a proxy.pac off the local
webserver, either having the proxy set in Evolution itself or having it
defer to desktop settings.  Chrome is pulling/using the proxy.pac.

Even if I hard-code the SOCKS5 proxy to use localhost:1080, have an
entry in /etc/hosts, I get timeouts.

While Evolution is claiming to attempt to connect to the mail server,
I don't see any connections from Evolution to localhost:1080 in 'sudo
netstat -pnt' output.  I do see Chrome in that output though.

Ran it from the command line, just to see if I would get any
new/additional debug output, it eventually spit out:

(evolution:4881): e-mail-engine-WARNING **: 10:43:17.004: mail_folder_cache_note_store_thread: Failed to run
initial setup for 'myemail ad dr es': Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out

The problem might be with the DNS resolution, which is filled for glib
at: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/issues/1320

I'm not sure, but maybe a fake record in /etc/hosts would help.  Bye,
Milan

Tried that, no change in behavior.

--
Michael Parson