Re: [Evolution] Evolution, VPNs and Google

On Fri, 2019-04-19 at 15:23 -0500, Michael H Moran wrote:
On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 09:13 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 18:12 -0500, Japhering via evolution-list
wrote:

Evolution  3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
ProtonVPN  and any number of others

What's the best practice for using Evolution across a VPN with GMail
?

It seems that every time I'm on a VPN  either incoming, outgoing or
both  operations fail.   Occaisionally,  I'll get
a Google notice that it blocked an attempted access, but it doesn't
happen consistently.

Can you access the Gmail account via the web interface? If so, there
is
no reason for Evolution to have any problems. Evo (and Gmail) aren't
even aware they are running on a VPN and there are no configuration
options for this. If this isn't working, the problem may be with your
VPN setup. (I've used ExpressVPN without any issues.)

Evolution works flawlessly without a VPN .. and only half way when
using a VPN.

Imap
Inbound is  port 993 with TLS on a dedicated port via password
Outbound is  port 465 with TLS on a dedicated port via password

As previously stated. Receiving always works .. with or without a VPN,
while outbound only works without a VPN.

I just tested it with ExpressVPN, using an Evolution session that was
already running (i.e. I turned on the VPN without restarting Evo). My
settings are the same as yours. It worked perfectly. I don't know what
to suggest other than maybe trying a different VPN to see what happens
(for example a free trial version of ExpressVPN or NordVPN).

I'm sending this reply with the VPN turned on.

poc