Re: [Evolution] Evolution, VPNs and Google

On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 09:11 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

What's the best practice for using Evolution across a VPN with GMail
?

It seems that every time I'm on a VPN either incoming, outgoing or
both operations fail.

The VPN is setup at a system level - Evolution knows nothing about it.
The only issues I ever get are if I start the VPN while Evolution is
connected - presumably that's because the connections are persistent
(i.e. you don't login everytime the mail is refreshed) and the packets
get confused where they are supposed to go. I tend to get in to the
habit putting Evolution offline before starting the VPN.

 Occaisionally, I'll get
a Google notice that it blocked an attempted access, but it doesn't
happen consistently.

Is it a corporate VPN or one of the internet free ones - it may be that
Google has blacklisted known sources of problems (like one of the
throw-away VPN sites).

It is ProtonVPN from the folks the provide ProtonMail. It doesn't matter, which
servers or countries.

Is this one of the cases, where configure Oauth2 would be of benefit?

I doubt it - I'm no expert on OAuth2, but AFAIUI it's just a different
mechanism for authentication (using a token rather than a password),
other than that the connection just uses IMAP (or what Google calls
IMAP).

P.