[Evolution] What file does evo utilize on startup to determine if 'this is a first run, and requires initial setup'

evo 3.32.1

What file does evo utilize on startup to determine if 'this is a first
run, and requires initial setup'?

On random occasions ( although it seems to occur more often after I have
utilized our work vpn from home ), on startup evolution will believe
that it's being started for the first time after an installation,
forcing me to recover from a backup. I'd like to know what triggers
evolution to believe this - a missing file or configuration setting - so
that I can check for it manually to see if it's truly missing and if so
try to determine the root cause.

thanks
reid