[Evolution] Contacts solution wanted

Maybe someone could give me a hint?

A friend of mine is about to migrate from Mac to Linux. Crucial for him is a mailing feature:
* search for keywords in the "notes" field
* create mail address lists from the result

e.g. search for "sailing & Berlin" - send a mail to all sailing fellows in Berlin. Can be done with easy on Mac OS 10.4.

Unluckily, evolution cannot do that and Milan seems not so keen in implementing it, we had some conversation about that. ): - Still I hope that some day evo will have that feature.

But for now:
I found huge CRM solutions which state to be able to everything... - but are way too much and too complecated for my friend. And quite poor and mostly outdated address book managers. Does somebody know a fine piece of software which can do what I need?

Cheers,
Wolf