Re: [Evolution] Reading email using search folders could be faster

On Tue, 2018-06-05 at 13:05 +0300, Robert Munteanu wrote:
On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
On Mon, 2018-06-04 at 11:41 +0300, Robert Munteanu wrote:
(Please CC me, not subscribed)

I'm using Evolution for quite some time with two accounts ( EWS, IMAP
) and a couple of search folders. One of them holds all the unread
email threads except a couple of folders. All the folders included in
there are set to have their emails downloaded for offline use.

Whenever I switch to a search folder and select an email ( which
should already be downloaded offline ) it lags for a couple of
seconds. In the status bar I see both 'Retrieving message XYZ...' and
'Refreshing folder Search Folders: Unread....'.

What exactly makes you think it should already be downloaded offline?

As I wrote above, all accounts are already set to download messages
offline. Additionally, if I open an old message that is already there,
it also waits to refresh the folder. Consider the following scenario:

1. Switch to virtual folder
2. Message is selected so it is downloaded ( waiting for the folder refresh )
3. Switch to the physical folder and access the message ( no delay )
4. Switch to the virtual folder again
5. Message is selected so it is downloaded (again, still waiting for
the folder refresh )

So no matter what am still waiting for the virtual folder to refresh
and for the message to be downloaded, even though the message should
be there. Whether the download is a no-op since it's already saved for
offline I don't know, it just appears in the status bar, apparently
queued after the folder refresh.

GIven that accessing the same message through a regular folder works
without any delays, I think the message is downloaded, just that
access through the virtual folder is delayed for some reason.

If the virtual folder involves a search through a large mailbox, that
could account for it not being instantaneous. Just speculating.

poc