Re: [Evolution] Starting Evolution from backup

On 07/11/2018 01:29 PM, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
Evolution 3.28.1-2 running under Ubuntu 18.04 wants you to import a backup file
for the first run on a new installation.  Not a problem for those of us who have
been running evolution for years.

I have yet to meet any long time Linux user who goes into their email
client to "make a backup." And oddly Gnome-based backup software does
not suggest doing this either; it just backs up files. You'd think if it
was important someone would have integrated it as a backup feature.

If a home directory tarball isn't enough, it won't happen. Evolution
should drop the silly "backup / restore".

Perhaps replace it with an Import feature which could be pointed at a
directory to retrieve user accounts and stored/cached email from any
previous version of Evolution. Now that would be useful.

Often by the time I need to set up my email the previous system hardware
is unrecoverable. There's never going to be an Evolution "backup."
--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil