Re: [Evolution] GOA

On Thu, 2018-01-04 at 16:59 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
We use google mail for our company and I am using evolution 3.27.3.

        Hi,
is it really 3.27.3, the development version?

Can I administer GOA from inside evolution or is gnome control centre
still required?

No and no. You can use evolution(-data-server) without GOA. You can
compile evolution-data-server with Google authentication support, which
will allow you to create Google accounts directly from the Evolution
with all features which GOA offers.

If you really have the development version, then the easiest is to open
Evolution, then:
a) in menu Edit->Accounts->Add->Collection Account
b) Email address: user company com
c) Advanced Options->Server: gmail.com
d) click Next, wait for the discovery to finish
e) click Next again (at the bottom it shows how many "candidates" it
   found)
f) Left the Collection, Mail Receive and Mail Send at their defaults
   and click Next again
g) name the account anyhow (defaults to the used email address)
h) click Finish

Now you'll be asked for credentials and when Google authentication
support is enabled/compiled you'll see a web login page to Google
account, like with GOA. Once finished you'll get the account in the
list and if everything will go that well as on my side, then you'll get
also all your Calendars, Task lists and the Address book, just like
with GOA.

Doing the same with the stable version (3.26.x inclusive) is a bit
tricky. You do:
a) File->New->Mail Account
b) set a fake user gmail com address
c) let it lookup for the settings
d) once the lookup is done, do not click Finish, but Previous instead
e) correct all the user gmail com addresses with your user company com
   address (it's on three pages) and make sure "OAuth2 Google"
   authentication type is selected both for mail receive and mail send
f) check which parts you'd like to have enabled at the last page, aka
   Calendars and Address books and name the account anyhow (this is
   the fourth page with the email address).
The outcome should be pretty much the same as with the Collection
Account.

You might verify that you've selected all calendars you want to
synchronize with CalDAV (thus evolution and other CalDAV clients) at
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/syncselect

        Bye,
        Milan