Re: [Evolution] Sort so un-read messages come to the top?

On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 21:44 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
you anyway much likely will run into dependency issues, since
Evolution doesn't provide much headroom against what dependency
versions it could be compiled.

        Hi,
I do not want to add more offtopic to this thread, but this one hurts.
Why do you think so? The version dependencies of evolution(-data-
server) are bumped only seldom, the current stable series, 3.26.x,
depends on gtk 3.10 and glib 2.46, which are pretty ancient and the
main dependencies. The current development version has bumped
dependency on gtk+, due to Wayland differencies and new gtk+ API being
required.

... but actually the culprit for the hardest dependency issues is
the gnome-desktop dependency

Well, that's an optional dependency and can be turned off in the
compile time (-DENABLE_GNOME_DESKTOP=OFF).

The biggest problem on the evolution is the fact that it is not a
standalone application like those other named in this thread. It
depends and extensively uses evolution-data-server, which would be also
fine, except the evolution-data-server is used by other (core) parts of
the GNOME/system and by other applications, which means dependency
issues "up-side-down". More is described here, if you are interested:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Building#Evolution-Data-Server_dependency

        Bye,
        Milan

P.S.: I have compiled Evolution under Windows, it's 3.18 or something
around that, and it can read my IMAP messages, but since there had been
some issues with glib in that time and due to the port to WebKit2,
which doesn't build under Windows, all that fun is mute now. I mean
with that that Evolution can (could (WebKit2)) be built out of GNOME.