[Evolution] Couple of questions - profile and bash

Sorry to ask, but I can't find reliable answers to these.

Since TB got so resource heavy, I've been looking for an alternative,
and have settled on evolution (nice work). However, there are a couple
of issues.

1. I don't want my mail and addressbook on the local drive, but on my
NFS. That way, I can use whichever computer is handy to use evolution
(only on one machine at a time). I've copied the mail and addressbook
folder to the NFS, and ln -s to the folders, whilst mail works fine,
the addressbook complains that it can't find the folder. Moving it back
to the local drive and it's fine, but this will mean syncing between
machines.

I've also noticed with the mail folder on the NFS, evolution takes an
age to start, whilst it's almost instant if the folder is on the local
machine.

2. When I used TB, I had conky scripts that would report the number of
unread mails for different accounts within conky (TBH, it's just a bash
script that parses the output for conky). Is it possible to get an
unread mail count from evolution via bash (whilst evolution is running
in GUI mode)? Even if it's just a total, that will do for now.

TIA