Re: [Evolution] Create link to a specific mail in Evolution

On Sun, 2018-12-23 at 17:59 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2018-12-23 at 17:50 +0100, Bjoern Schiessle wrote:
it happens regularly that I want to refer to a email in my notes, a
text document, etc. Is there a way to generate a "link" to a mail
in Evolution which I could copy over to my notes, which again opens
Evolution and jumps directly to the mail on click?

Not from within Evolution.

If this doesn't exists out of the box, I would be also happy for
suggestions how I might be able to solve this with some scripting
involved.

Off the top of my head, I think this would be pretty hard to do. You
would have to accommodate all the different storage locations a
message could be in, both local and remote, and take account of it
possibly being moved around. There is no universal way to do this.

I suppose the “universal” way to link to messages is using a mid: URL
that refers to the Message-ID in a message's header.
See: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2392

Evolution currently doesn't support this, but I guess it would be
possible to add it if someone is motivated enough…

Soem thoughts:
 * I'm not sure if Evolution keeps an index of Message-IDs; if not it
   could take a rather long time to find the right message in a large
   mailbox (or multiple large ones).
 * Maybe some IMAP servers index & allow searching for it?

--
Jan Claeys