Re: [Evolution] search feature slow - in one account only

On Wed, 2018-12-12 at 11:07 +0100, Herr Oswald wrote:
With "whole message" as well? Is 23s for "search the whole news" with
1700 messages acceptable? - I think on a 8core xeon it should be
faster.

        Hi,
it's basically as Patrick said, though I'd be a bit more concrete,
because the things do not work that way always.

Fist of all, we speak about IMAPx. Other providers can have it done
differently.

When you are online, the search for "message contains" (or body
contains) always asks the server, then it filters the messages as
below. If not in online, only the messages which are already downloaded
are checked (and eventually included in the search result). From this I
believe the significant (or maybe half of it) time being used is while
waiting for the server response.

Search in headers also depends on the actual header to be checked. Some
are part of the local summary, some are not. For those which are not
the message is needed, thus it is downloaded, if not found in the local
cache.

Filtering (which is similar to search, code-wise speaking) of new
messages has some performance improvements for header filtering in the
background. When the provider also downloaded the main headers, then
the message itself is not downloaded even when filtering on headers
which are not part of the local summary.
        Bye,
        Milan