Re: [Evolution] Compiling on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 18:47:13 +0100
Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:

On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 12:30 -0500, Paul Stejskal wrote:
在 2018-04-10Tue的 18:56 +0200,Milan Crha写道:
On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 17:37 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
- Is this the best way or is there a better way? (I am developer
myself)
- Do I need follow some specific compiling/installation guides for
Ubuntu or can just download the source and start compiling? :)

  Hi,
you might find all the answers here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Building
and eventually here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak
after you read the first paragraph of the former. The Flatpak version
as provided in Evolution sources has also its caveats, which you should
be aware of (also the first paragraph, in the second wiki page).

Long story short, main issue (and the reason why LTS distros do not
update evolution) is that evolution requires evolution-data-server,
which is also used by other programs (and even GNOME shell), thus when
you update evolution-data-server you usually need to update also all
other installed applications which depend on it. The Building wiki
compiles into a separate prefix, thus you can run the code "in
parallel", which usually works (at least here). The Ubuntu 16.04 is
really old, you'll see how well it'll work for you.
  Bye,
  Milan

18.04 will be out in a few days. April 29th?

An alternative is to just use a distro with better support for
Evolution (e.g. Fedora), which also meets your VMware requirement. OTOH
Ubuntu *may* improve general Gnome support in the future now that it
has abandoned Unity.

poc

Ok, thx for the input.. Doesn't really sound too promising but I'll do some reading and see what I do...
If I install the version in Ubuntu 16, version 3.18.x, what am I missing? Will it work ok as an IMAP and
Exchange MUA?

Fedora would have been a better option, the problem is that only the following are supported by the Horizon
client: Ubuntu x64 12.04, 14.04, and
16.04, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.8, 6.9, 7.2, 7.3, and 7.4 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED)
12 SP2. And to be able to work from remote I need a distro where this client works more or less 100%. I
bought this laptop so I could leave my Windows PC from work at work.. :)

BTJ