Re: [Evolution] Creating calendar events from the command line

On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 16:36 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 14:01 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
I am aware that you are one of the former group, and you don't want to
fix your filters so that they match your preferred use case for some
reason. IIRC I never did work out why you think this peculiarity of
yours is more important, overall, than deliberately cutting others out
of mail threads so that they never see messages at all.

I seem to have hit a nerve. My filters work fine and I have no problem
with duplicates. I also have no desire to "deliberately cut others out
of mail threads" but if someone doesn't notice a reply to a question
they themselves have posted because it went to the list they posted it
on and not to their personal inbox, frankly I'm not going to worry
about it.

I understand that you don't have much sympathy for me when I posted to
the list and didn't see the reply, and that's fair enough — but in fact
I *did* remember that this problem happens on this list a lot, and keep
checking the list manually for a few days. But the response actually
came 11 days later, but which time I'd stopped checking.

And that's only one of the use cases I listed. There are other users
who *never* receive the message for absolutely no fault of their own.

I simply wondered why you were complaining about Reply-to-
List, which is widely used both here and elsewhere. It appears from
your essay on the subject that you would prefer Reply-to-List be
removed from Evolution (or its behaviour changed). I'm fine with it as
it is and will continue to use it when appropriate.

Out of interest, is it that you don't *care* that you are cutting
people out of the conversation — permanently, as well as merely
temporarily delaying them seeing the messages as in my case — or is it
that you still don't think that's what you're doing? (Thanks for *not*
doing it this time, btw)

If the latter, I'd be happy to update the document. I've tried very
hard to include the simple use cases and factual analysis "above the
cut", then put my opinion/conclusion at the bottom.

 Given the number of
MUAs that don't support it, including the various web clients and TBird
(IIRC) it will probably fade away in time, as will plaintext mail and
inline quoting. I think this is a pity but frankly can't be bothered
arguing about it.

I think Thunderbird does unfortunately support it too; in fact I have a
vague idea that we "learned" it from Thunderbird. At least we don't do
it by default though :)