Re: [Evolution] Google API: Daily Limit Exceeded

        Hi,

On Thu, 2017-10-26 at 10:34 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
It is for Calendars - I don't use Google for tasks.

Weird, I didn't see it with calendars, only with tasks. Maybe I've been
just lucky (I also have in-evo configured Google calendars (and
tasks)).

Is there a correct or best way to be doing it?

Nope, it's not about it. Anyone can use whatever fits him/her the best.
The time when it had been suggested to not use GOA was mostly due to
its key having these issues with daily limits.

I don't know anything about the API and developer side of Google -
what determines the request limit? Do you have to make a case to get
it increased or is it a matter of money or is it Google's perception
of how important/big the project is?

The key has assigned some limit by default. If one needs more, then
he/she asks Google folks. I didn't ask myself yet.

And you said "requests error limit", whereas the error message just
says "exceeded daily limit". So is the limit on the number of errors
or on the overall number of requests?

Right, ambiguous wording, I'm sorry. The quota is basically about: how
many error requests the application using the keys can make, before it
reaches its daily limit. Once reached, everyone trying to use those
keys gets the error.

If its an error limit thing, and since there will be a fair number of
people still on 3.24, will 3.26 still be affected by the Google limit
because the users of 3.24 will be breaking things?

It's all about keys being used. Some time ago, GOA begun to use new
keys, because eds had a bad issue and there was no power to let
everyone update to patched versions. I'd rather not ask for new keys
again (for evo, not for GOA).

Is there any possibility of back-porting patches into 3.24?

Yes, there is. For the tasks, where I'm aware where the issue was. For
calendars... hmm, maybe this one:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/commit/?id=c4c5c0ae8bc9e
but it's related to 3.26 only (will be part of 3.26.2). Unfortunately
the errors do not show which client versions are used, only what error
code had been returned by the server. It helps a bit, just not always.

        Bye,
        Milan