Re: [Evolution] "Include threads:" setting for Search Folders?

Thanks for the replies! Yes, that was me on IRC, thanks for your help there too Milan.

So I'm still unsure of the effect of this option. When you replaced "message location" with "sender contains", did you include your own email address and set that as the only search criterion? If so, I'm getting some unexpected behavior here (using a Gmail account) that I think show what the root of the issue is. First, I create a search folder using the criteria:

Find items which match: any of the following conditions
Include threads: All related
Sender contains: <username>@gmail.com

If I choose "All local and active remote folders" as my sources, then the folder shows threads where I am the sender, along with with all related messages from every IMAP folder *except* the Inbox! If I choose to only include <account>: INBOX and <account>: [Gmail]/Sent Mail, then I get a similar result where all I see are messages in my Sent folder. In other words, the search folder seems to ignore the inbox as a source.

I agree with you, Milan, about what the various "Include threads" options should do. However, I think these tests we've done show that, at least, the "all related" option does not have that behavior. I would argue in favor of keeping these options if their behavior could be documented (and I guess acted the way you outlined earlier), because they would be super useful in my use case, and I would imagine a lot of people would want this as well. Giving a similar example to my first one, if I want a folder only showing "active" conversations, it would be great to have this option to show threads containing messages in my inbox, plus any related messages in the rest of my account's folders.

P.s. I think that the "No reply or parent" option would be useful if you wanted (for whatever reason) a folder containing messages that are *not* conversations, i.e. threads you haven't been engaged in or which you did not originate.

Thanks again,
Paul