[Evolution] Composing editor selection

Ubuntu 16.04 with Evo 3.18.5.2

Evo has apparently changed what's being used as the internal editor for composing -  and
not for the better. I want to change to gedit or almost anything else than what's on offer.
But when I consult the "HELP" files, it directs me to <EDIT> <PLUGINS> <EXTERNAL EDITOR>,
and when I click that sequence, there is no  "external editor" choice presented.

So what's the "new" method for pointing Evo to an external editor, which the "HELP" maintainers
have apparently let get by them? The only web reference I uncovered was the same instruction
as in the current "HELP" file......?

Thanks,

Brewster Gillett

"God does not play dice with the universe; he plays an ineffable
 game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the
 perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in
 an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room,
 with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't
 tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

               Terry Pratchett, from _Good Omens_
 W. Brewster Gillett            bg fdi us            Portland, OR  USA
 Simply because you don't like to hear it, that doesn't make it untrue.