[Evolution] How Does Evolution Manage Emoticons?

Hello,

I am interested to know how Evolution manages the emoticons that are built into it. They are what I call 'graphical emoticons'. That is, they are colored and have faces which are not the same as an emoticon created using Unicode or ASCII code (I don't think). If one sends an email using .HTML, the emoticon looks like this: :-), but if the sender chooses to use plain text, it looks like this: 😀 (or something close to that).

I have been trying to find some information about these difference on the web, but I fear my ignorance is so great that I don't even know how to phrase the question correctly. Is there someone here who can point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!

Frank