Re: [Evolution] How to edit list of applications to open attachments

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 06:56 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Anything else should exactly NOT be in the Evolution handbook.

+1

Indeed, that's both the positive and the negative aspect of the whole
concept of a "desktop environment". If you're in the "wrong"
environment, things don't work smoothly.

Incorrect.  Both KDE and GNOME use XDG to solve this problem; what
works in one works in the other.
Unless (a) you are specifically using an app that goes-its-own-way or
(b) your distribution screwed it up.

The app in question is Evolution 3.22.6. My distro is Fedora 25,
updated from the stable repos this morning, and running with the latest
stable KDE/Plasma desktop:

$ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
opera.desktop
$ xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler
$

So no URL handler and the browser is Opera. Opening the KDE Settings
panel shows the same thing. However if I use gnome-control-center to
check the defaults, the browser is Firefox, not Opera, and indeed
Firefox is what opens when I click on a link in Evolution. In fact
Opera is not even offered as an option.

So something is inconsistent. Since the underlying XDG tool is
supposedly what offers compatibility, I assume it must be Gnome.

poc