Re: [Evolution] Version information when building from git - Was: Many strange errors after upgrading to Evolution 3.24.2?

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 13:17:48 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 09:15 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
I'm getting dislike Arch. You surely do not have 3.24.2, that had not
been released yet.

Understand your frustration.. But I see an issue has been created for
this..

Hi,

don't expect that it will be fixed for Arch packages.

"Comment by Jan de Groot (JGC) - Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:21 GMT
IMHO this is only cosmetic. Distributions package software with
shitloads of patches and changes to default enabled/disabled options
most of the time, so even when evolution -v shows 3.24.1 there's no
warranty that it's the same 3.24.1 you would get when building from a
released tarball with default options.

If upstream cares about versions in evolution -v output, then upstream
should not commit "Post-release version bump" but do that on release.

We build from git because of 2 main reasons:
- easier to add upstream committed patches
- release tarballs are often generated with broken tools

Comment by Ralf Mardorf (Ralf) - Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 11:29 GMT
Hi,

actually it were _several_ Arch users who sent requests, providing wrong
version information. I posted to the mailing list only to correct the
version information. What other distros might do is irrelevant for us.
It's also unimportant if upstream decides to default to 3.24.1 or
3.24.2, if you compile and package 3.24.1gitabcd. In my experiences,
based on following the Evolution mailing list, official releases from
upstream are sometimes buggy, but not more or less often, than for the
majority of any other software, so IMO there's no reason to divert from
the Arch policy. However, if you feel the need to build from git, I
don't understand why you won't build with
-DVERSION_SUBSTRING="+gitXXXXXX" -DVERSION_COMMENT="+gitXXXXXX".
Anyway, I only wanted to inform you about an issue that arise on the
Evolution mailing list, feel free to ignore it.

Regards,
Ralf" - https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53840

I edited my comment, the original comment included "Good PKGBUILDs fix
the version string, when building from git. This for example was always
done for claws-mail-git from AUR". I removed it from my comment, since
actually Claws' "About" version string was reformatted by the PKGBUILD,
but the string by default always included the git commit, it wasn't
added by the PKGBUILD (the package build script). Maybe the Evolution
developers could make this the default for Evolution, too, instead of
expecting that package maintainers do it.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: My apologies, I once again sent a mail to the list, by using the
wrong account, but actually it was Evolution, that once again failed to
select the correct address ;).