Re: [Evolution] Newbie-questions

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 13:58 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 12:43 +0100, James Freer wrote:

using linux xubuntu 16.04

You should mention the version of Evolution.

To elaborate: Evolution runs on many Linux distros so telling us your
version of Xubuntu is not usually very helpful (only a minority of list
members will know about it). Always quote the version of Evo itself
(Help->About).

- using imap. Which directory is mail and settings stored in on the PC as I
would prefer to do manual backups. Not sure what others do but when one
installs the next xubuntu update I want to be able to copy the directory to
remote hard drive and copy it back once new install is set up.

Menu bar > Help > Contents   or   F1-key

Ctrl+F or Ctrl+S or click the search icon and type "back" and all your
backup related questions are answered.

Strictly yes, but maybe not what you want. The built-in backup system
is intended for migrating all your Evo data to another machine, or when
reinstalling your system. It's not for doing regular backups. If you
want to backup local data, look under ~/.local/share/evolution and
~/.config/evolution. However make sure Evo is completely stopped
(evolution --force-shutdown) before using these files for backups or
restores.

However, regarding stored mails consider to read about the differences
between IMAP and POP.

In common with many of us, I prefer IMAP to POP because I don't need to
worry about backing up my mail as it's always on the server. That also
means I can access it from anywhere, including my phone. There is no
advantage in using POP unless your mail provider doesn't support it.

poc