[Evolution] Evolution contacts address book not opening

Hello everyone, first post.

I'm running a Funtoo installation, which is a source based linux
related to Gentoo.  I'm having a problem accessing my Contacts in Gnome
Evolution, whether I add the google Contacts separately in Evolution or
use a google Gnome Online Account (GOA).

Here is the message I get in the Contacts frame:

"
Unable to open address book 'Google Contacts'

This address book cannot be opened.  This either means that an
incorrect URI was entered, or the server is unreachable.

Detailed error message: Unable to connect to 'Google Contacts': Backend
factory for source '1478199275.7442.2@myserver' and extension 'Address
Book' cannot be found.
"

The versions I have installed are:

Gnome and related packages: 3.20
Evolution: 3.20.5

I've tried installing a number of other packages that seemed to be
related but without success.  The Calendar and Email functions of
Evolution to the same GOA work fine, just the Contacts fail.

Anyone have this problem or have any ideas?

Thanks!

Joseph