Re: [Evolution] Misleading GPG error message from Evolution

On Sun, 2016-05-22 at 20:01 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I attempted to send an encrypted and signed email to two recipients.
Every time I would get the following error message:

     Could not create message.

     Because "gpg: skipped "XXXXXXXX": No secret key
     gpg: signing failed: No secret key
     ", you may need to select different mail options.

Naturally my focus was on trying to figure out what was wrong with my
secret key (which I had successfully used before, and from Evo).

        Hi,
the two lines with "gpg:" prefix are raw output from the gpg itself.
The evolution(-data-server code) interprets some of the output, but not
all of it.

Was the "XXXXXXXX" an email address or a key ID?

I agree with you that the gpg's "signing failed" is misleading, because
what failed was the "encrypting", not "signing".

When I tried the same, send a signed and encrypted message using GPG
from the evolution, then I was asked for my own key password first,
then I received the same error, with a more extensive text:
   gpg: using subkey XXXXXXXX instead of primary key XXXXXXXX
   gpg: using PGP trust model
   gpg: This key belongs to us
   gpg: <a b c>: skipped: No public key
   gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: No public key
Thus my gpg version claims a better error (I used the "a b c" as the
recipient). This is with the development version of the evolution (-
data-server), 3.21.2, which calls /usr/bin/gpg2. I tried also with the
/usr/bin/gpg, but it provides the same error message here.
I'm using gnupg2-2.1.11-3.fc24.x86_64, gnupg-1.4.20-2.fc24.x86_64.
        Bye,
        Milan