Re: [Evolution] Evolution, Google and SSL/TLS problem

Am Sonntag, den 26.06.2016, 10:58 +0200 schrieb Jaroslaw Rafa:
Hello all,
I was using Evolution for several years with success to access Gmail
accounts (via IMAP) and Google calendars (via CalDAV). Since yesterday (I
guess the date, I was not using the Google account for a few days, but it's
no longer) it's no more possible. Evolution just doesn't connect to Google
- there is no password prompt displayed for Gmail account, and all Google
calendars are disabled (unchecked) in Evolution and when I attempt to check
one of them, a message "server error" appears.

Only when trying to set up a new Google calendar I got a more meaningful
error message, telling about "TLS handshake error". So I guess that Google
probably turned off support for SSL version that Evolution uses.

Does the problem still occur? I recently had a "server error" problem
as well. Could not read my google calendar anymore. After a few days,
it worked again. I have that calendar configured as webcal with an
https-URL and had checked "secure connection".
You may have just misinterpreted the error. They may just have had a
problem with their servers.

I am using Evolution 2.28.3. I know it's quite old, but as Evolution is
bundled with the entire GNOME, I guess I cannot just install a new version
of Evolution, because of all the dependencies etc. - and I would like to
avoid reinstalling the whole OS as long as it is possible.  I'm happy with
my current OS (Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS) and installing a new system and setting
up everything again the way I want it to be is just a huge waste of time...

I am also still using an older ("ancient") version of evolution (2.28.4
plus some "crooks" and patches under ubuntu 10.04 and am quite happy
with it.
But at some point it's just inevitable to "catch up". You may want to
try the latest fedora 24, that has just come out.

--
thomas