Re: [Evolution] Reconnecting to "<my-account-name>" (cancelling)

On Sat, 2016-08-13 at 18:49 -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
On Sat, 2016-08-13 at 23:55 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Evo will not quit. After several minutes, a dialogue comes up,
something like "do you want to wait or force quit".

Usually that means it's waiting on something that won't happen. As Ralf
says, the alert is probably from your desktop environment rather than
Evolution, but the underlying cause is likely to be that Evo is waiting
to hear from a server that isn't responding for some reason. Any time
this has happened to me I find that forcing quit and restarting solves
the problem. It's annoying but it seems to happen a lot less than it
used to with older versions.

I've had this happen many times with Evo. More often than not, when I
try to cancel an internal process which is taking way too long, such as
index generation, Evo just hangs, and neither the internal process nor
the program itself will close down. I generally just do a killall -9 on
it, which is kind of crude, but effective, and it runs fine when I
restart it.

This has been going on for years, and I more or less take it for
granted. I like Evolution a lot, so I stick with it and tip-toe around
the known issues.

I'm using POP accounts only and in the past I needed to "kill" Evolution
that often, that I added a menu entry that runs
"evolution --force-shutdown" and after that starts Evolution
automatically. Since a few Evolution versions back, I don't need this
feature at all, since I don't experience this kind of issue anymore.

As already pointed out, maybe force-shutdown isn't available for all
builds of Evolution, I anyway wouldn't start killing directly by a
SIGKILL, consider to at least try a SIGTERM first.

Regards,
Ralf