Re: [Evolution] Endless "Empty cache file" errors

On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 14:54 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 11:40 -0700, fmouse wrote:

I'm having the same problem with evolution 3.18.5.2. It happens when
new mail comes in while evolution is open and running, and the new
mail is inaccessible and trying to open it gives "Unable to retrieve
message. Empty cache file: /home/.... etc." I researched the problem
and a few days ago read that this is a known problem and to date
there's no know fix,
I've never seen such a message [speaking as a 24/7 Evolution user for
more than a decade].

If you've never seen this message, and can't contribute anything
useful, please refrain from posting to this thread.

What type of account is this?  Any change "/home" is full?  Or
"/home"
is an NFS mount?

I think it's been stated already that it's an IMAPx account, as is
mine. I'll see if I can find the reference to the problem that I found
earlier.

Evolution  is very old software and the code is a tangled mess.
This statement is ludicrous.

No it's not. Look at the source code. Look up the history of the
software, if you're not already familiar with it.

 It's great when it works,
It is great when it works, which is pretty much always.

I've had evolution lose mail, get mailboxes totally confused, hang,
crash and refuse to run altogether. See <http://www.fmp.com/living_with
_evolution.html> which I wrote some years ago. It's still the mail
client which treats me most like a technically educated mail admin.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."