[Evolution] local mail box garbage collection

Running Evolution 3.12.9 on debian jessie+bpo.

For a long time now I was wondering if Evoltion local mail box got a
proper garbage collection. I suppose this is not a concern for users
taking advantage of IMAP servers, but I happen to keep a local record
of most important mails, and not a small one in spite of removing
attachments etc.

Yesterday I had a dissapointing confirmattion of my fears. While
troubleshooting a friend's email account, several hundreds of mails
landed on my inbox, many of them with big attachments. All these were
duly trashed, and the trash was expunged. Nevertheless, the size of my
next Evolution backup increased by 90 MB.

Does this happen only to me --and if so, why?

Is this a known issue, or should I report a bug?

Does anyone know a more or less artisanal fix?