Re: [Evolution] Win32 Build Status

On Tue, 2015-09-29 at 09:55 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
the current status is "it builds and can read IMAPx account
content",
but it still needs some real testing, like I'm pretty sure that
local
maildir structure will simply fail due to the file naming.
I'm sorry if this sounds negative and slightly cynical, but a Windows
build of Evolution fills me with dread, mainly for the sanity of this
mailing list.  It's problematic enough trying to help people with
disparate versions of Evolution on different flavours of Linux, but
throwing in Windows into the mix as well??

Most of the issues seem to relate to users of VERY OLD versions of
Evolution.  Or users attempting to upgrade many versions in a single
leap.

This seems unrelated to that.

What was the rationale behind attempting to create a Windows variant?

It is Open Source; someone can do so because they want to.

And as someone who works on software - porting can make better
software.  You overturn bugs and deficiencies you otherwise never saw.

Especially as it has always been said by the developers that it was
not practical since there was not enough manpower to even attempt it.

An experimental build is an experimental build;  users who do not read
the disclaimer have nobody to blame but themselves [however much they
choose to righteously rant on a mail list or forum].

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383