Re: [Evolution] Backing up Evolution Data

On Tue, 2015-09-08 at 11:01 -0400, Dennis Reichel wrote:
Thanks John,

That's helpful information.  My understanding of IMAP is that either
the message header or header with message body may be downloaded.
 For
a backup to be most useful, the message body should also be included.

Cron or scheduled within Evolution, automatic data backups would be a
great feature.

Also, I'd appreciate a notification when message bodies are not
available to be backed up and a configuration option to attempt
downloading missing bodies for backup.

        Hi,
just a little clarification about backing up any remote data (including
IMAP, NNTP, EWS, CalDAV, WebDAV, On The Web, ... basically anything
what stores its data into ~/.cache), the built in backup doesn't
store/restore these caches, because that's only a local copy of the
server data, which is about to change the next time the mail folders,
calendars,... are updated. What the backup stores is the description of
the account, thus the next start after restore the evolution can
connect to the server and get fresh data from it. Of course, it has a
disadvantage of loading folder summaries from scratch, which can take
its time when the folders are large. It's still less data than backing
up copy of the server content.
        Bye,
        Milan