[Evolution] trying to set up smart card crashes evolution

I am running Arch Linux with evolution (evolution 3.16.1) and thunderbird. Accessing my safesign smart card
in a Gemalto card reader works fine with thunderbird (decryption works, did not test signing/encryption). If
I try so set up certificates in evolution at first it does not find any when clicking on the select button,
and if I unplug and plug in the card in the reader again accessing the select button crashes evolution. dmesg
shows this single entry then:
6799.553617] evolution[6742]: segfault at 40 ip 00007fba27d25350 sp 00007ffccd1527f8 error 4 in
opensc-pkcs11.so[7fba27d16000+2b000]