Re: [Evolution] WebCal import fails

On 2015-05-04 at 14:47, Milan Crha wrote:
Is the calendar public, thus anyone can use it, or it's a semi-private
calendar? Being it a public calendar maybe someone can look on it. All
there matters is the version of the .ics file. The RFC I gave a link
to describes version 2.0. Earlier versions didn't have the UID
mandatory. Maybe a change in the On The Web calendar could be done to
add artificial UID properties for older versions of the .ics files.

The first 3 lines of the .ics file are:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
PRODID:-//dhtmlXScheduler//NONSGML v2.2//EN

So I assume it is an iCal v2.0 file with malformed entries.
The calendar is semi-private, but I can send the entire file in a
private email if that matters to you.

[On a side note, let me state that I feel it is a bug in Evolution
that Evolution does display the error messages *only* in the log
files. Regarding the GUI one gets the impression that the .ics file
was imported just fine. Would you agree that this is a bug? Should I
report it to the bug tracker?]

It depends on the point of view. Say you've 100 events in the .ics
file. Each being affected by a different issue, some with missing UID,
some with other issues. How would you report such issue to the user?
Collecting all the errors and sending them all at once, cluttering the
UI? The other thing is that with the On The Web calendars you usually
do not have any way to influence the content, as in your case. I know
it's no strong argument, I'm just thinking aloud. I agree that there
could be a notice that not all events (tasks or memos) were shown from
the .ics file (this answers one of my above questions too).

Cluttering the UI should certainly be avoided.
I would display an icon
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gnome-dialog-warning.svg next to
the calendar in in the calendar list.
(Like the one with the two arrows (left-right) which is currently
displayed for all my calendars and for which I don't know the meaning.)
Clicking or hovering over the icon should then display a message like
"Malformed iCal file. This calendar may be displayed incompletely.
Please see logfiles for a detailed description."

Kind regards,
Jay